I have had several customers contact me on why I manufacture in the US and use carbon steel and powder coat for the finishes on my products. Here is a copy of customer email and my response.
Customer Email: Hey there, I’ve been having some problems with earring holders and other metal holders in that they are reacting to all my stuff and tarnishing them or actually in some cases the gold plating is coming off. I was wondering how the powder coating measures up?
My response: I have been selling my products since 2005 and the metal ones with powder coating since 2008 and have never heard of any problems what so ever. I use them as well and not had any issues. Powder coat is a baked on finish at 392 degrees, not a dip or paint. Check out this link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating
The powder coat basically seals the steel. Some jewelry holders made overseas etc. use mystery metal that use all kinds of scrap metals including, tin, copper, lead and other cheap metals and they usually dip or spray on a solvent finish which can cause metal on metal reactions.
FYI silver or gold plating is a very thin finish and there is usually a clear coat of some type on top of it. Also, I have found that if gold plating is on top of copper it will tarnish over time. If you clean your jewelry with rubbing alcohol it will strip the clear coat leaving your jewelry open to the elements. Use just plain soap and water or a jewelry cleaning product that does not have any harsh solvents in it to clean your jewelry.
There are so many reasons why I make my products here in the US using Carbon Steel and Powder Coat.
- Providing American Jobs is a big deal to me.
- I can oversee the manufacturing process end to end and make sure my products are made right. This is so we can catch any issues like a product not being level or plumb and root them out when found.
- Carbon Steel is strong, clean, non- carcinogenic and pure. Only use recycled or reclaimed sustainable materials. What once may have been a steel car part has been cleaned, forged, melted down, pressed, cut, reformed, welded and powder coated to become a beautiful jewelry storage solution.
- Powder Coat is beautiful, durable and cleanable using plain water.
- No customs or import issues.